To shoot or not to shoot? Team’s premises not in compliance with no-gun policy

Tell kids they can’t have sweets, but give them candy.

Our school always finds a way to contradict itself and now, even though guns are a huge no-no, we have our own rifle team.

Not only school, but FCPS policy prohibits weapons on school grounds, including look-a-likes. We aren’t even allowed to bring a water gun to school because it could be mistaken for a real gun. I don’t think it is right to give a student an air rifle to practice on, even if it isn’t dangerous, since look-a-likes are strictly not allowed.

To me, the policy of no weapons on school grounds was created to keep violence away from students, and teach them that weapons are not a good item to possess. So in order to keep this danger-free idea intact, I don’t think we should be teaching high school students how to shoot a rifle at all. Granted, the students are not on school grounds and they are not shooting a real gun with bullets. It is the same concept, though, because it is still FCPS students who are learning how to shoot a rifle at a target.

If we are going to teach students how to shoot any type of gun, real or not, we should just drop the school policy of no weapons altogether. If the student can be on this team and shoot a gun, nothing is going to keep them from bringing it on school grounds. The idea that weapons are violent and aren’t school-appropriate seems like it’s not that important when schools then are teaching students how to use them. I mean, we might as well have a Knife and Nunchucks Club for that matter.

Honestly, FCPS needs to stop trying to be a “people pleaser.” Our county should set rules and regulations and then follow them, without swaying. Don’t try and make everyone happy by bending the rules and allowing rifle teams.

There is always going to be that one person who wants more and more, and keeps pushing the rules further and further, and our county  and school are going to have to twist the rules in order to please them. Come on, stand your ground and don’t back down. This rule of no weapons was made for a reason. It shouldn’t be broken just because a couple random kids want to start a rifle team.